all of us in the southern hemisphere have been noticing the longer days and warmer nights. the balmy evenings and the fresh mornings. the brighter colours and the feeling of change in the air.
and today we finally welcome spring! it’s a new month. it’s a new season.
according to wikipedia (my number one source for all information), spring is the time between winter and summer, but also has ideas of rebirth, renewal and regrowth. it’s the season when flowers bloom, the world is an even more beautiful place in the springtime.
now I’m going to stretch out this spring metaphor as far as possible, as I usually do, and encourage all of us to take this change of season as a chance for personal renewal and regrowth. it’s time to shed our winter skins and let our true colours show (Cyndi Lauper style). winter can make our skin cold but it’s time to get outside and thaw out.
for me personally, this spring I want to rid myself of the cold, winter holly and become a better version of myself. it’s really important to make time for yourself so that you can properly enjoy life.
as a busy introvert life often feels exhausting and I’ve recently been reminded that ultimately taking care of yourself is more important than getting distinctions or aiming to please everybody. for some of you this is obvious but if you’re like me this is really hard to hear.
so I’m hoping that by becoming better at setting aside designated time, in spring, to enjoy doing some things just for me, without feeling guilty that I’m not doing uni work or saving the world, I will become a better version of me.
here are my five goals for renewal and regrowth for enjoying spring, and life!
- watch more sunrises and sunsets - apparently doing this gives off more endorphins, but even if it doesn’t it’s incredibly beautiful and one of the best ways to start or finish the day.
- walk on the beach more - for me, this is my number one de-stresser. even though I live one minute away from the beach, when I feel the sand under my feet I am a thousand worlds away as I look at the ocean and breathe in the salt air.
- journal more - setting aside time to turn off technology try to make sense of things by putting pen to paper.
- have more baths - does this really need an explanation? it’s all about relaxing and getting a good night sleep.
- bake more - I really enjoy baking. I love it. I love that it’s both mathematical and creative. for me it’s the perfect combination of the right and left side of the brain. plus it’s delicious as well of course!
An important thing to remember is that it’s not selfish taking time to yourself. It’s really very hard to give out good things and be productive when you aren’t putting in good things.
When a gardner prunes his plants it can seem like he cuts them down too far, when actually he cuts them down a lot so that they can grow back even better. Sometimes it can feel like we are being cut down a lot, but it’s all part of a plan to make us grow back stronger!
take some time for yourself, it’s not selfish, it’s about rebirth, renewal and regrowth this spring!
and of course, while you’re enjoying the beauty of life this spring, taking a look at the petal of a flower, the wings of a butterfly or feeling the fresh air on your skin, be reminded of the loving creator God who loves us and wants good things for us.